UNESCO World Heritage Sites have long held a fascination for me.
In the same way reading about the ‘7 Wonders of the World’ did when I was a young, UNESCO World Heritage sites capture my imagination as an adult.
To be included on the list, sites need to show that they have an outstanding universal value, and meet at least one of the ten criteria listed here.
Forget all those ’20 Best Places to Visit in X’ articles, this right here is the ultimate bucket list of must-see destinations.
With over 1,000 sites on an ever-growing list, it’s nearly impossible to get to them all, but when I’m planning trips, I always check to see if there are any nearby we can visit, and often change our itinerary to include them.
Below is my personal list of UNESCO World Heritage Sites.
It is not a complete list, as I have only included places I have visited since starting this blog in 2017. This means some iconic places such as Machu Picchu miss out, but all the more reason to go back!
If you want to see the full list, then head over to the UNESCO World Heritage Site website or go to the fantastic WorldHeritageSite.org, an independent site that has user reviews of all the locations.
Map of UNESCO Sites
Click on the map below to bring up posts about UNESCO World Heritage Sites I’ve visited.
My UNESCO List
2017 UNESCO Heritage Sites
- 🇸🇨 Vallée De Mai (Seychelles, October)
- 🇲🇹 Valletta (Malta, November)
- 🇲🇹 Megalithic Temples of Malta (Malta, November)
2018 UNESCO Heritage Sites
- 🏴 Edinburgh Old Town (Scotland, February)
- 🇹🇭 Khao Yai Forest Complex (Thailand, April)
- 🇹🇭 Historic City of Ayutthaya (Thailand, May)
- 🇱🇦 Town of Luang Prabang (Laos, May)
- 🇱🇦 Megalithic Jar Sites in Xiengkhuang – Plain of Jars (Laos, May) *technically this wasn’t a UNESCO site when we visited as status wasn’t awarded until 2019 however, we visited fairly certain it would be added to the list.
- 🇱🇦 Vat Phou and Associated Ancient Settlements within the Champasak Cultural Landscape (Laos, June)
- 🇰🇭 The Temples of Angkor (Cambodia, June)
- 🇰🇭 Temple Zone of Sambor Prei Kuk (Cambodia, June)
- 🇻🇳 Hoi An Ancient Town (Vietnam, July)
- 🇻🇳 My Son Sanctuary (Vietnam, July)
- 🇻🇳 Complex of Hué Monuments (Vietnam, July)
- 🇻🇳 Trang An Landscape Complex (Vietnam, July)
- 🇻🇳 Central Sector of the Imperial Citadel of Thang Long – Hanoi (Vietnam, July)
- 🇭🇷 Plitvice Lakes and National Park (Croatia, October)
- 🇭🇷 Venetian Works of Defence – Zadar and Sibenik (Croatia, October)
- 🇭🇷 Cathedral of St James in Sibenik (Croatia, October)
- 🇭🇷 Historic City of Trogir (Croatia, October)
- 🇭🇷 Historic Complex of Split (Croatia, October)
- 🇭🇷 Stećci Medieval Gravestones (Croatia/Bosnia Herzegovina, October)
- 🇧🇦 Old Bridge Area of the Old City of Mostar (Bosnia Herzegovina, October)
- 🇭🇷 Old City Dubrovnik (Croatia, October)
- 🏴 Stonehenge, Avebury and Associated Sites (England, December)
2019 UNESCO Heritage Sites
- 🇧🇪 Historic Centre of Bruges (Belgium, March)
- 🇧🇪 Belfries of Belgium and France (Belgium, March)
- 🇧🇪 Flemish Béguinages (Belgium, March)
- 🇦🇺 Royal Exhibition Hall (Australia, July)
- 🇦🇺 Gondwana Rainforests (Australia, August)
- 🇦🇺 Greater Blue Mountains Area (Australia, August)
- 🇦🇺 Australian Convict Sites (Australia, August)
- 🇦🇺 Sydney Opera House (Australia, August)
2020 UNESCO Heritage Sites
Ummm – Covid!
2021 UNESCO Heritage Sites
- 🇦🇺 Budj Bim Cultural Landscape (Australia, February)